Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Starting Out Slow


So, these past few days have been interesting for me, getting started. I have been going to the gym and running (OK, you caught me, I've been walking) on the treadmill for about 1/2 hour a day. I'm going pretty easy this first week for a few reasons.

One: I still have a lot of not healthy food around the house that I'm trying to get rid of. I'm not becoming a Vegetarian or anything like that, but going and doing a serious workout only to come home and eat some potato chips and a Ding-Dong would nullify any progress I've made for the day. Once I finish enjoying every last bite throwing all the junk food out, I'll be able to not only go home from the gym without the fear that I'm about to ruin the work I've done, but also I can start shopping in aisles of the store that don't prominently feature the word "Hostess."

Two: As I'm first starting out, I just want to get used to going to the gym everyday. I figure that if I try to go all out everyday when I'm still getting used to this whole "exercising" thing, I'm afraid that I could end up burning myself out with thoughts of how much it sucks to go to the gym. Right now, I just want to start working on the habit. So back off.

Today, though, I wasn't able to go to the gym. I could go into details and give you a play by play if you would like, but let's just say, for the sake of visual imagery, that I'm taking a sick day. So, unable to do any physical activity, I spent the better part of the day looking up things like what my daily caloric intake should be (how many calories I need to eat in order to maintain my weight) which is a frightening 3545 calories every day. Should be pretty easy to start cutting those once I eat get rid of all this junk food.

In all of the reading I've done over the past few weeks, one thing that keeps showing up (in regards to dieting) is the importance of a food journal. Personally, I think that sounds silly, to do nothing more than to write down what I eat any time I eat it, but again, it keeps coming up, so I'm going to give it a shot, at least for a week.

So, like the Tortoise and the Hare, my body has started out slow with my desire much further ahead. Stupid desire. Always showing off.

No comments: