Wednesday, April 23, 2008

...If By Motivated You Mean "Slacker," Then Yes.


So here I am, several weeks into this brand new lifestyle that I'm so excited to begin and what have I done? Squat. Not squats as in the manly, muscle building, wussie crippling squats I should be doing, but squat in the early 90's slang term for nothing. And am I proud of this? Horrifyingly, yes. Let me explain:

Around my apartment, as stated in my last post, I have (or had, as it were) several food items that one would deem "less than healthy." This includes, but is not limited to: carbonated beverages, once healthy vegetables that are now thinly sliced and deep fried, items that rhyme with "Candy," ect. I've almost gotten rid of all of the junk food and yes, before you even ask, I may have consumed them in my efforts to rid my apartment of this filth. Don't look at me like that! I'm the good guy here, sacrificing myself to make my apartment a better, more healthy place! It's the same idea of how casinos don't have clocks: Out of sight, out of mind. Do I really believe that eating this junk food is the right choice? Yes. Was that a lie just now? Yes.

Either way, it's almost all gone. By this weekend, there will be nothing in this apartment that is not at least nutritious in one form or another. Huzzah for accomplishing at least something.

Speaking of accomplishments, I have indeed been keeping this food journal that I hate so much. Yes, it's kind of a pain to bust out this little notebook every time I eat something. However, I do see how it helps. Not only do I think to myself "Brett, you're going to hate looking in this journal tonight and read 'cupcake' right in the middle of all your healthy choices today," but also, and this to me is more important, I'm beginning to see certain eating habits I have. For example: I've noticed that I actually do really well making good choices right up until I get home from work. That's when I really screw up. So how do I fix that? Simple. I'm going to start going to the gym right after work instead of waiting until later that night. This way, I'll beat that habit to the punch and form a new, better one in the process. Plus, I'm much less likely to eat crap after a good workout. "Ha ha! He eats crap!" I said it so that you don't have to. Grow up.

So, I guess you caught me. No, I'm not really proud of doing next to nothing, but at the same time, I'm in a better position to "officially" start my routine off. Again.

Yeah, I'm a slacker.

No comments: