Where have I been? Good question, long answer.
So, about two months ago, shortly after my last post, I finally weighed myself. To tell the truth, I was pretty excited. I'd been working hard, going to the gym about 4-5 times per week, eating healthier, and all around feeling good about what I had accomplished. I was finally doing what I always knew I needed to do. So, with great anticipation, I stepped on the scale.
What I saw was so disheartening. Not only had I not lost any weight, but I had gained a pound. A lump formed in my throat as I stared at the scale. I know I'd only been working out for a month, but to have gained a pound? To be in worse shape than I was when I started this? I walked out of the gym and went home, feeling like everything I had done had been a complete waste of time. I stopped going to the gym. I started right back into my old eating habits. It was not pretty.
Skip ahead month or so. After destroying myself for several weeks, I finally decided to see a doctor, maybe get his perspective and get on an official diet instead of whatever crazy food intake theory I had in my head. We talked a lot about different things, from genetics to "fad" diets. In the end, we came up with a simple plan that I'm pretty excited about (more on that in a future post).
So, yeah. I didn't lose any weight, but I'm not sure why I let that get to me. It probably takes the body several weeks to adjust to what we do to it when we make such a radical change. Who knows? My body may suddenly stored fat when I started exercising because it wasn't used to burning that many calories and though it may have needed more. The truth is, I don't know what happened, all I know is that looking at that number hurt. But to quote a line from the greatest fictional boxer of all time, "It ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Too true, Rocky. Too true.
So, what does this mean for me? We'll for one, I'm getting right back to the gym. Silly as this sounds, I actually miss going and exercising. Yeah, weird. I know. Heads up, Treadmill. You and me, we're gonna go to work.

No comments:
Post a Comment